Fingerprinting and Dossier IN Ethiopia

We’ve had a full day, and my children have been great, really great.  We’ve taxed their little bodies more than we should have in the name of getting their brother home.  We got them up at 4:15 this morning for our drive to the city.  My boy went right back to sleep.  My girl sang and shrieked and kicked the back of my seat for the next 3 hours.  She fell asleep after we stopped for breakfast, but by then my boy was up, and it was his turn to sing and shriek.  My poor brother and his girlfriend (my live-in college student) were in the back row trying to sleep, tired after a late night watching fireworks in our family’s boat at the lake 2 hours away.  The staff at the immigration office was fantastic.  They helped us quickly, and we were on our way to the children’s museum within an hour.  Our kids climbed, slid, splashed, touched, and tasted lots of things today.  Lulu particularly enjoys putting her hands in water.  She touched a turtle, played in a giant ball pit, and climbed higher than I’ve ever seen her go.  Teme was thrilled with the climbing, even though he’s not quite strong enough to pull himself up without help.  They crawled through an underwater tunnel, waved at a sea turtle and some giant fish.  They loved that they were allowed to run in such a big place, not strapped into their strollers or carried everywhere.  We stayed until their eyes started to droop and Lulu’s thumb went in her mouth.  We made our way from the museum to a lovely little Ethiopian restaurant in town.  We sipped mango juice and pinched off rolls of injera to munch a vegetarian platter, tibbs, and a tilapia dish (my new favorite).  Teme loves injera, but I had trouble getting him to eat much else.  Lulu didn’t want to eat anything and spent her time rolling the injera and pressing it into balls like play dough.  We opted to skip the botanical gardens when the temperature on my car’s gauge read 108 degrees.  The kids alternated screaming and sleeping the whole way home.  I put them both down for naps when we arrived back home.  When they’d both fallen asleep, I ordered a pizza online and Matt and I napped until it arrived.  I woke the kids up and we munched on pizza and cinnamon sticks on the couch watching Sesame Street.  We’ve never had pizza and TV as a family before.  I’m generally an anti-TV momma, but today, it was just what we needed.

Our dossier arrived in Ethiopia this morning.  I’m relieved to have two more things checked off of my list.  Now I just need the I-171H in hand, notarized and authenticated, and there’s nothing more for us to do.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s